1. Find secondary sources first.
2. Use secondary sources to locate primary sources.
- Do your secondary sources contain any primary source materials?
- Are there clues in your secondary sources about primary sources that exist on your topic, such as the titles of documents?
- Do the reference lists (bibliographies) from your secondary sources contain information on primary source materials?
3. Google it.
- Try a Google search using your topic plus one of the words on the primary source examples list at left, e.g. Sylvia Plath letters or Sylvia Plath interview